Lakes, Salt Marshes and the Narrow Green Strip: Some Historic Buildings in Dartmouth and Halifax County's Eastern Shore (Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, 1979) is a small book jam-packed with information on old houses in the Dartmouth region. Fortunately, pages fourteen and fifteen deal with the Keeler family and their houses:
"The oldest of the houses, "Mount Pleasant", was on the farm side of the road (today's Crichton Avenue) and is still called the "Keeler Homestead". This house is now #16 Lakeview Avenue and was built about 1801. It is easy to distinguish as it sits cornerwise to the present street. It is a wooden house of the saltbox type and fairly large. It has a stone basement with stone stairs. Most of the floors are constructed of wide pine boards. There is a small addition at the back and the porch has definitely been added. The house is in very good condition. It was occupied by members of the Keeler family until 1957, when it was sold to Gerald Bonang. The present owners (1979) are the Mugfords, who are very pleased to own such an historic home."
"The other Keeler houses are all on Crichton Avenue. The large white house at the corner of Hillside (Avenue and Crichton Avenue) is called "The Birches" and was the home of George Keeler, then of his son Roy, and is now (1979) owned by the Winders. Ernest Keeler lives (1979) in another large white house at 177 Crichton Avenue. Both these houses are over 100 years old. Number 173 Crichton Avenue was also a Keeler house but since 1935 has been the home of Miss Eva Duncan."
|Former Keeler family home (known as "Mount Pleasant" and the "Keeler Homestead" and built circa 1801). 16 Lakeview Avenue, Dartmouth. Photo: David Jones, September 2014.|
|Keeler family home. 177 Crichton Avenue, Dartmouth. Photo: David Jones, September 2014.|