Thursday, 12 June 2014

Saint Paul's Church: Oldest Building in Halifax


On Tuesday, June 10, I walked from the CBC Radio Building to the Halifax ferry terminal. I had been at the studio for an interview with Stephanie Domet, the host of Mainstreet. She was asking me about this blog! We spoke for a little under fifteen minutes. I have been listening intently for the last few days; hopefully I will be on the air soon! http://www.cbc.ca/mainstreetns/
While I was walking along Barrington Street, I noticed that the doors to Saint Paul's (Anglican) Church were wide open (welcoming tourists) and I, for the first time in my life, decided to head in and take a peak. I double checked with the Rector that it was okay to explore. He said that I could even  take as many pictures as I wanted (perfect for the purpose of this blog) and added that I could even sit down and pray!  Saint Paul's, as indicated in the title of this post, is the oldest surviving building in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It was assembled (it was a pre-fab church from Boston) in 1749, the same year as the founding of Halifax by Edward Cornwallis and the British government.
Consider this blog entry more of a slideshow. Thankfully, most of the plaques are self-explanatory! I, David Jones, took all of the photos on June 10, 2014.




 

 
 

















DCB Online - Charles Morris (he set out the grids of several communities in Nova Scotia including Halifax and Dartmouth)








 
 

Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online - Charles Lawrence (infamous for deporting the Acadians)














Interested in the battle between the Chesapeake and the Shannon? Check out local historian Keith Mercer's blog post: http://www.keithmercer.com/blog/the-other-glorious-first-of-june







1 comment :

  1. Thanks Dave. My family are Creightons. I've never been inside the church before and now want to go see that Creighton plaque for myself. I know most are in the Old Burying Grounds. Very neat stuff you have in your blog. Good job!

    ReplyDelete