|Does anyone know the age/origins of this mill stone? Photo taken by David Jones. May 23, 2014.|
The plaque on the mill stone commemorates the Hartshorne-Tremaine gristmill which is said to have been located in the same spot as the above monument. Here is a transcription of the plaque:
HARTSHORNE-TREMAIN GRIST MILL 1792
"ON THIS SITE IN 1792 UNITED EMPIRE LOYALISTS LAWRENCE HARTSHORNE AND JONATHON TREMAIN ERECTED A GRIST MILL AND BAKEHOUSE, WHICH SUPPLIED HIS MAJESTY'S FORCES IN NOVA SCOTIA, NEWFOUNDLAND, BERMUDA AND THE WEST INDIES, AS WELL AS THE CIVILIAN POPULATION OF THIS REGION. THIS ENTERPRISE LED TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A SUBSTANTIAL GRAIN GROWING INDUSTRY IN NOVA SCOTIA."
PRESENTED BY THE DARTMOUTH MUSEUM SOCIETY 1984
|Hartshorne-Tremain Gristmill plaque. Photo taken by David Jones, May 23, 2014.|
"The Dairy and near-by Scrapyard occupy historic land . . . Until the Rolling Mill came there in 1903, the area was mostly covered with grass, in the midst of which you could still see the remains of an extensive oblong-shaped foundation. This marked the site of a very large gristmill commenced by Lawrence Hartshorne and Jonathan Tremaine as far back , at least, as 1792. For in that year, there was a grand ball and supper given at Government House in Halifax by Lady and Sir John Wentworth, the Lieutenant Governor. In the dining hall on that evening were displayed several ornaments. For example, a miniature of the windmill on Camp Hill. Another was an exact representation of Hartshorne and Tremaine's new flour mill at Dartmouth" (Martin, pages 33-35).
|Nantucket Whaler monument. Photo taken by David Jones, May 23, 2014.|
|Nantucket (Quaker) Whaler plaque. Photo taken by David Jones, May 23, 2014.|
Here's a bit on the Quakers from John Martin (38-39, Story of Dartmouth): "The biggest boom that came to our town in the 18th century, commenced in 1785 with the removal from Massachusetts of the Nantucket Whaling Company. The purpose of their coming here was to prosecute the whale fisheries from a port which was under the British flag. The United States had just gained their independence. For many years, Great Britain had been the biggest buyer of oil from the American whale fishermen. But now that they belonged to a foreign nation, their whaling products would be subjected to a very heavy duty before being marketed in England. This 18th century oil industry set up their factory and wharves in the Dartmouth Cove. The factory building for the making of spermaceti candles and other products was situated on the northwest corner of King and Marine Streets. One large wharf ran out into the Mill Cove, just to the northeast of that big reddish brick building which now houses the office and machine shop of the Shipyards. (See historic plaque at this plant.) Their vessels sailed from here to the whaling grounds off the Brazilian and African coasts. Thousands of pounds sterling were made in this enterprise. The firm carried on business here for seven years, then packed up in 1792. and moved the whole manufactory to Milford Haven in Wales. Most of the employees belonged to the Quaker religion. A few of their houses still remain in Dartmouth. So do the descendants of one or two families like the Colemans and Elliots. The Dartmouth Service Center now stands on the site of the old Quaker Meeting house at the northeast corner of King and Queen Streets. Whole blocks of town lands in this vicinity were taken up by over forty families of these people. The section got to be called Quakertown. The Bell Bus terminal building was originally a Quaker-built house. There is another at 59 Ochterloney Street."
|Quaker House Museum plaque.|